After having practiced many research based and spiritual techniques for years, one day I was with a great scientist and a truly spiritual man, Kirpal Singh Gill.
I asked him
“There are hundreds of meditation techniques? What are the attributes of a method revealed by the Divine itself? as opposed to man-made ones.”
He replied calmly
“We are not judgmental. Every path has lessons which a person may need to learn. However, if you were to learn batting in cricket, whom would you like to go to? Sachin Tendulkar, the greatest batsman in the world or to your neighbour who played only until grade 3 of school?”
The answer was obvious. I would go to the one who had the deepest knowledge and attainment, lest I make a basic mistake.
Then he said
“Men have created thousands of methods on their own. Each may have some benefits. However, the Supreme source, the creator has mentioned some details in his scriptures like the Bible, The Guru Granth Sahib, The Bhagvad Gita etc. If we decode those, we’re sure that our path is right.”
Then he told me of some very basic attributes which such a system of meditation given by the Supreme must possess.
1. Simplicity : The system must be simple. Because everyone should be able to do it. “Kalyug Nanak Naam Sokhala.”
2. Effortless: Shouldn’t involve complicated, difficult to learn kriyas, asanas. “Neryatan; apnei aap”.
3. Loveful: Must involve a deeply loving response. “Prema-bhakti; prema prabhu”. Because this resonates with the basic nature of the infinity within.
4. Spontaneous: Because the deepest meditation involves a receiving as oppossed to a doing. Hence a state of spontaneity. “Sahej awastha; sahegj subhae.”
5. Deep Surrender: Again it isn’t a doing but a receiving. “sarnagat; aap tiaag hoeiai sabh reinaa.”
6. Arousal or Awakening: an experience of the divine within, ecstasy, exaltation. “rangan, wismaath, kheidaah.”
7. Transcendence: must take you to the fourth state called the super-consciousness. ” chautha padh, turiya awastha.”
8. Self-realisation: must lead to salvation. “jeevan mukti, nirvana.”
9. Must NOT be trance.
This great scientist-seer called it “Prema-Bhakti” or surrender to the divinity within, in total love. Also named it Vibrant Celestial Meditation(VCM).
When you’re choosing an appropriate meditation technique for yourself, I hope this basic guide will help.
May the Divine all to self -realisation.